UPDATED: 05/01/2017 — see Change Log
OWNER: Magnida (Magnolia Nitrogen Idaho LLC)
PROJECT: Greenfield nitrogen fertilizer plant
COST (reported): $2.5+ billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 150 permanent, 1,900 construction
START-UP DATE (reported): 2017
|Ammonia||None given||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 No capacity data on company website or press reports.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: Lamb Weston Road, American Falls, Idaho 83211, United States
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Air Permitting: Idaho Department of Environmental Quality: Magnida Application for Air Quality Permit [LINK / PDF]
- 04/29/2017: Idaho State Journal: Proposed Magnida fertilizer plant will not be built [LINK]
- 12/15/2016: Capital Press: Irrigators consider leasing water from Power County [LINK]
- 11/08/2016: Idaho State Journal: Multiple bonds pass in Southeast Idaho [LINK]
- 11/02/2016: Local News 8: Power County has one chance to pass $8 million bond [LINK]
- 09/23/2016: Idaho State Journal: Power County looking to secure Magnida water rights [LINK]
- 03/28/2016: Idaho State Journal: Magnida seeks $900M for A.F. fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 08/28/2015: Idaho State Journal: Magnida fertilizer project lands main contractor [LINK]
- 08/19/2015: Power County Press: Magnida picks contractor for proposed fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 06/17/2015: Power County Press: Despite rumors, Magnida still very much alive [LINK]
- 03/23/2015: Capital Press: Idaho fertilizer plant project still on track [LINK]
- 03/16/2015: Idaho State Journal: Magnida fertilizer plant still moving forward [LINK]
- 12/31/2014: Power County Press: Lamb Weston, Magnida come to agreement [LINK]
- 12/14/2014: Idaho State Journal: Magnida’s plight showcasing why Idaho’s economy is the way it is [LINK]
- 12/08/2014: Idaho Statesman: Fertilizer plant permit delays show limit to Idaho’s ‘speed of business’ [LINK]
- 09/18/2014: Idaho State Journal: DEQ hearing officer finds in favor of Magnida [LINK]
- 06/30/2014: ICIS: Magnida selects Societe Generale for US nitrogen plant financing [LINK – paywall]
- 05/13/2014: Idaho State Journal: Proposed $1.5B area plant advances [LINK]
- 01/29/2014: The Power County Press: Magnida execs highlight plant progress [
- 12/10/2013: Magnida community relations letter [PDF]
- 07/17/2013: Bloomberg News: Ex-Morgan Stanley Executives Said to Plan $2 Billion Fund [LINK]
NEWS SOURCES (abandoned Southeast Idaho Energy project):
- ONGOING: Source Watch: Power County Advanced Energy Center [LINK]
- 11/30/2009: Idaho Department of Environmental Quality press release: DEQ issues revised air permit to Southeast Idaho Energy for Power County plant [LINK]
- 07/27/2007: Idaho State Journal: Gasification permit sought [LINK]
- 06/28/2007: Idaho State Journal: Gasification plant reborn [LINK]
- WEBSITE: Refined Energy Holdings: Southeast Idaho Energy [