UPDATED: 10/24/2016 — see Change Log
OWNER: IFFCO Canada (IFFCO joint venture)
PROJECT: Brownfield urea plant
COST (reported): More than $2 billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 200 permanent, 1,000 to 1,500 construction
START-UP DATE (reported): On hold
|Ammonia||None given||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 No ammonia capacity given in company press releases or media reports.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: Becancour Industrial Park, Champlain, Quebec, G0X 1C0, Canada
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Environmental permitting: BAPE (Bureau d’audiences publiques sur l’environnement) documents [LINK]
- 10/20/2016: La Presse: IFFCO sur la glace … mais maintenu en vie [LINK]
- 05/24/2016: La Presse: Bécancour: Québec remet 6 millions dans IFFCO Canada [LINK]
- 12/14/2015: IFFCO Canada press release: La Coop Fédérée and IFFCO put on hold their urea production plant project at Bécancour until market conditions improve [LINK]
- 08/25/2015: Le Nouvelliste: Place IFFCO? [LINK]
- 06/11/2015: Le Nouvelliste: Le projet d’IFFCO remis sur les rails [LINK]
- 12/16/2014: IFFCO Canada press release: La COOP fédérée and IFFCO are repositioning in order to seek new partners [LINK]
- ONGOING: The Globe and Mail, archive: Energy East [LINK]
- 10/15/2014: Winnipeg Free Press: TransCanada pipeline conversion faces building pushback in Quebec [LINK]
- 09/17/2014: IFFCO Canada press release: Project Update [LINK]
- 04/16/2014: IFFCO Canada press release: Government of Québec formally endorses project [LINK]
- 03/19/2014: IFFCO Canada press release: New development in proposed IFFCO Canada fertilizer plant: Ganotec Inc. selected as strategic project collaborator [LINK]
- 09/04/2013: IFFCO Canada documents: Ernst & Young, Carbon footprint report [PDF]
- 03/18/2013: Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency – Construction of a fertilizer plant in Bécancour Project [LINK]
- 10/09/2012: IFFCO Canada press release: A $1.2 Billion Investment in Bécancour [PDF in French]