UPDATED: 10/19/2017 — see Change Log
OWNER: Yara Freeport LLC DBA Texas Ammonia (Yara / BASF joint venture)
PROJECT: Brownfield ammonia plant
COST (reported): $600 million
JOB CREATION (reported): 35 permanent, 550 construction
START-UP DATE (reported): 2018
|Ammonia||750,000 mtpy||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company announcements. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: 602 Copper Road, Freeport, TX 77541
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Air permit documents: Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ): permit documents [LINK]
- Permit to Construct: Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ): Preliminary Determination [PDF]
- 10/19/2017: Yara: 3Q 2017 earnings presentation [PDF]
- 03/27/2017: Yara: 2016 Annual Report [PDF]
- 10/21/2016: Yara: 3Q 2016 earnings presentation [PDF]
- 03/21/2016: Yara: 2015 Annual Report [PDF]
- 07/28/2015: Yara/BASF joint press release: Yara and BASF break ground on new ammonia plant in Freeport, Texas [Yara: LINK / BASF: LINK]
- UNDATED: KBR project profile: BASF / Yara Ammonia [PDF]
- 07/20/2015: Houston Business Journal: Chemical giant staffing up for major Freeport projects [LINK]
- 02/20/2015: KBR press release: KBR Awarded Freeport, Texas Ammonia Plant EPC Contract [LINK]
- 02/19/2015: Praxair press release: Praxair Gulf Coast Expansion to Serve Freeport, Texas, and Supply New World-Scale Ammonia Project [LINK]
- 02/19/2015: Yara/BASF joint press release: Yara and BASF to build ammonia plant in Freeport, Texas [Yara: LINK / BASF: LINK]
- 05/14/2014: Argus Media: Analysis: Yara, BASF chase ammonia cost savings [LINK]
- UNDATED: BASF facility factsheets: Freeport, Texas [PDF and PDF]
- 05/08/2014: Yara / BASF press releases: BASF and Yara plan to build ammonia plant in Freeport, Texas [Yara: LINK / BASF: LINK]
- 12/31/2013: The Facts: County grants tax breaks for companies [LINK, login]
- 12/17/2013: Wall Street Journal: Shale Gas Lures BASF to the US [LINK, login]
- 10/18/2013: Wall Street Journal: Yara, BASF Weigh New US Investment [LINK, login]
- 10/18/2013: Yara / BASF press releases: Potential joint ammonia investment [Yara: LINK / BASF: LINK]