UPDATED: 07/25/2017 — see Change Log
OWNER: Northern Plains Nitrogen (NPN)
PROJECT: Greenfield nitrogen fertilizer plant
COST (reported): $2.5 billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 170 permanent, 2,000 construction
START-UP DATE (reported): 2020
|Ammonia||2,400 stpd||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company reports. Sources: linked below.
 Air permit documents. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Air Permit documents: ND Health, Air Quality Permits – Construction: Northern Plains Nitrogen, LLP [LINK / PDF]
- 05/01/2017: Grand Forks Herald: Fertilizer plant agreement extended [LINK]
- 04/24/2017: Grand Forks Herald: A ‘state nitrogen plant’? Grand Forks council member sees opportunity [LINK]
- 01/27/2017: Grand Forks Herald: Grand Forks fertilizer plant works to woo investors amid economic headwinds [LINK]
- 10/03/2016: City of Grand Forks, City Council Staff Report: Northern Plains Nitrogen, LLP – Letter of Intent Agreement Extension [PDF]
- 10/03/2016: Grand Forks Herald: Arbor Park sees final GF Council vote to begin building negotiations [LINK]
- 09/28/2016: KFGO: Investors in Grand Forks nitrogen plant having second thoughts [LINK]
- 09/27/2016: Grand Forks Herald: Planners of Grand Forks fertilizer plant acknowledge financial hurdles [LINK]
- 05/16/2016: Industrial Info: Despite Decrease in Oil Work, North Dakota Likely to See Labor Force Tighten in 2016 [LINK]
- 02/2016: NPN Newsletter, February 2016: How research keeps NPN on track [PDF]
- 01/28/2016: Grand Forks Herald: Grand Forks maxes out fertilizer plant consultant spending at $237,000 [LINK]
- 12/24/2015: Prairie Business: ENERGY ENGINEERING: The Intersection of Energy, Water and Economic Development [LINK]
- 11/25/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Northern Plains Nitrogen wins water extension with city pending funding [LINK]
- 11/15/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Fertilizer plant planned for Grand Forks will minimize plumes [LINK]
- 10/09/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Nitrogen plant developers making progress [LINK]
- 09/16/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Fertilizer plant faces one more hurdle: Money [LINK]
- 08/13/2015: Grand Forks Herald: CHS decision doesn’t faze Grand Forks project developers [LINK]
- 08/11/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Air quality permit issued for Grand Forks fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 06/28/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Costs for city services to Grand Forks fertilizer plant projected at $45 million [LINK]
- 04/30/2015: TaxRates.com: New Sales Tax Exemption in North Dakota [LINK]
- 05/02/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Fertilizer plant planned for northwest of Grand Forks reveals product list [LINK]
- 04/22/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Fertilizer plant incentive bill sent to governor [LINK]
- 04/12/2015: The Dickinson Press: Will a man camp come to Grand Forks? Fertilizer project may require small man camp, but details uncertain [LINK]
- 03/01/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Proposed fertilizer plant plumes examined [LINK]
- 02/25/2015: Grand Forks Herald: Fertilizer plant incentive bill passes North Dakota Senate [LINK]
- 12/05/2014: Grand Forks Herald: Water permits approved to supply proposed fertilizer plant on north end of Grand Forks [LINK]
- 11/2014: NPN newsletter: November 2014 [PDF]
- 09/2014: NPN newsletter: September 2014 [PDF]
- 07/22/2014: Grand Forks Growth Fund staff report: Agenda Item, Northern Plains Nitrogen LLP project oversight consultant [PDF]
- 06/02/2014: AgWeek: Northern Plains Nitrogen to buy final rail access acres [LINK]
- 01/28/2014: Pioneer Press: Proposed $1.7 billion Grand Forks fertilizer plant takes key step [LINK]
- 11/19/2013: Bismarck Tribune: Agreement on fertilizer plant signed [LINK]
- 09/25/2013: NPN press release: Northern Plains Nitrogen is now open to investors [PDF]
- 05/09/2013: NPN Press Kit [PDF]
- 05/09/2013: NPN press release: Northern Plains Nitrogen to Invest Over $1B in Agri‐Business in Grand Forks, ND [PDF]
- 09/2012: North Dakota State University: Economics of Using Flared vs. Conventional Natural Gas to Produce Nitrogen Fertilizer: A Feasibility Analysis [PDF]