UPDATED: 09/02/2017 — see Change Log
OWNER: Mississippi Power Company (Southern Company)
PROJECT: Greenfield power plant, ammonia byproduct
COST (reported): >$7.5 billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 500+ permanent, 6,000+ peak construction — see Job Openings [LINK]
START-UP DATE (reported): 2017
|Ammonia||20,000 stpy||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company presentation. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: Meridian, Mississippi, United States
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Mississippi Public Service Commission: Mississippi Power Kemper County IGCC Project, Monthly Status Reports (Docket No. 2009-UA-14) [LINK]
- Mississippi DEQ Permits: Mississippi Power Company, David M Ratcliffe [LINK]
- US DOE, NETL: Final Environmental Impact Statement [LINK / Summary PDF]
- US DOE, NETL: Kemper County Energy Facility factsheet [LINK]
- US DOE, NETL: Demonstration of a Coal-based Transport Gasifier [LINK]
- US Securities and Exchange Commission regulatory filings: EDGAR Search Results, SOUTHERN CO CIK#: 0000092122 [LINK]
- 08/21/2017: Sun Herald: No solution yet for Kemper plant as Monday deadline passes [LINK]
- 08/09/2017: Meridian Star: Kemper coal operation to cut 75 jobs [LINK]
- 08/08/2017: Clarion-Ledger: Fired engineer sues, saying Southern Co. retaliated over Kemper Co. power plant concerns [LINK]
- 08/04/2017: Daily Journal: Mississippi Power customers dodge $2.8 billion bill for Kemper technology [LINK]
- 06/29/2017: Clarion Ledger: Mississippi Power will stop efforts to complete coal plant [LINK]
- 06/21/2017: Hattiesburg American: Mississippi Power should use only natural gas at Kemper plant, PSC says [LINK]
- 06/06/2017: Power Magazine: Kemper, Now Slated to Start in Late June, Will Need Costly Post In-Service Improvement Projects [LINK]
- 03/02/2017: Sun Herald: Moody’s downgrades Mississippi Power [LINK]
- 01/06/2017: Hattiesburg American: Latest delay pushes Kemper plant price over $7 billion [LINK]
- 12/21/2016: Wall Street Journal: Troubled Clean-Coal Plant Could Get New Lifeline [LINK]
- 12/03/2016: Clarion Ledger: Miss. Power says it’s likely to miss Kemper deadline [LINK]
- 11/23/2016: Mississippi Power press release: Mississippi Power announces electricity generation at second of two gasifiers at Kemper County energy facility [LINK]
- 11/04/2016: Mississippi Power press release: Mississippi Power issues statement regarding Kemper County energy facility schedule [LINK]
- 11/02/2016: Kemper County Messenger: Southern Company CEO says Kemper plant is ‘going to work’ [LINK]
- 10/31/2016: Sun Herald: Cost of Kemper plant has gone up again. Yes, again. [LINK]
- 10/19/2016: Mississippi Business Journal: Utility projects operation costs to quadruple estimate after Kemper County power plant starts up [LINK]
- 10/04/2016: Mississippi Business Journal: Mississippi Power adds month, $62 million at Kemper plant [LINK]
- 09/16/2016: Sun Herald: Kemper facility reaches another milestone with lignite [LINK]
- 09/06/2016: Sun Herald: No cost increase or delays in Kemper plant’s July report [LINK]
- 07/26/2016: Sun Herald: Mississippi Power announces additional $9M Kemper overrun [LINK]
- 07/15/2016: Southern Company press release: Southern Company subsidiary announces syngas production milestone at Kemper County energy facility [LINK]
- 07/05/2016: Southern Company press release: Southern Company statement regarding New York Times report on subsidiary Mississippi Power’s Kemper project [LINK]
- 07/05/2016: New York Times: Piles of Dirty Secrets Behind a Model ‘Clean Coal’ Project [LINK / TIMELINE]
- 07/05/2016: Clarion Ledger: Mississippi Power faces suit over Kemper power plant [LINK]
- 05/20/2016: Mississippi Watchdog: Kemper CO2 sales contracts still alive, companies say [LINK]
- 05/05/2016: Sun Herald: Update: SEC launches probe of Mississippi Power over Kemper plant [LINK]
- 04/26/2016: Sun Herald: Cost of Kemper plant jumps $60 million in March [LINK]
- 04/05/2016: Power Magazine: Kemper County IGCC Costs Rise and Delays Loom—Again [LINK]
- 02/24/2016: Southern Company press release: Southern Company leading global carbon capture research and development network for U.S. [LINK]
- 02/02/2016: Sun Herald: Mississippi Power says Kemper will cost more, take longer [LINK]
- 12/01/2015: Hattiesburg American: Kemper power plant overruns climb another $62 million [LINK]
- 11/06/2015: Forbes: Moody’s Downgrades Mississippi Power’s Credit Rating, Again [LINK]
- 10/27/2015: Mississippi Power press release: Kemper reaches most significant milestone yet toward coal gasification [LINK]
- 10/07/2015: Hattiesburg American: Holland: Kemper plant about 99 percent complete [LINK]
- 10/01/2015: Penn Energy: New Kemper power plant delay means company likely to repay $234M credit [LINK]
- 09/29/2015: Mississippi Power press release: Mississippi Power continues evaluating Kemper schedule [LINK]
- 08/17/2015: E&E News: Costly coal-gasification gamble hits testing phase as doubts persist [LINK]
- 08/14/2015: Moody’s press release: Rating Action: Moody’s Downgrades Mississippi Power to Baa2, negative; affirms Southern, stable [LINK]
- 06/05/2015: Fitch press release: Fitch Downgrades Mississippi Power to ‘BBB+’; Southern’s Outlook Revised to Negative [LINK]
- 05/20/2015: Hattiesburg American: South Mississippi Electric ends pursuit of Kemper [LINK]
- 05/2015: Politico: Billions over budget. Two years after deadline. What’s gone wrong for the ‘clean coal’ project that’s supposed to save an industry? [LINK]
- 07/17/2014: Mississippi Power press release: Testing milestones reached at Kemper [LINK]
- 01/28/2014: Reuters: Southern Co says Kemper coal plant costs still climbing [LINK]
- 11/01/2013: Mississippi Power factsheet: Kemper County Energy Facility [PDF]
- 09/18/2013: Bloomberg: Mississippi Coal Plant Overruns Show Risks of Carbon Rule [LINK]
- 06/2012: Modern Power Systems: Kemper County: constructing the world’s first IGCC with CCS (by KBR) [LINK]
- 08/25/2011: US DOE, 2011 NETL CO2 Capture Technology Meeting: Southern Company presentation: CO2 Capture at the Kemper County IGCC Project [PDF]