UPDATED: 02/27/2018 — see Change Log
OWNER: Nutrien, formerly Agrium
PROJECT: Idle plant, Ammonia-urea restart
COST (reported): None given
JOB CREATION (reported): was 264 permanent when fully operational — see Job Openings [LINK]
START-UP DATE (reported): 1969, 1977
COST (reported): $200-$250 million
JOB CREATION (reported): 140 permanent — see Job Openings [LINK]
START-UP DATE (reported): None given
|Ammonia||280,000 mtpy||650,000 mtpy||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company press releases.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: 47769 Kenai Spur Highway, Kenai, Alaska 99611, United States
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Risk Management Plan: Right to Know Network: Agrium Kenai Nitrogen Operations [LINK]
- Alaska DEC: Air Permit documents [LINK], Final Permit to Construct, 2015 [PDF], draft water permit fact sheet (Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) [PDF]
- US Securities and Exchange Commission regulatory filings: EDGAR Search Results, AGRIUM INC CIK#: 0000943003 [LINK]
- Tax Incentive Legislation: Alaska State Legislature: DOCUMENTS FOR BILL HB 100 29TH LEGISLATURE [LINK]
- 02/26/2018: Peninsula Clarion: Assembly to consider tax break targeted at fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 01/29/2018: Peninsula Clarion: Fertilizer plant restart still dependent upon gas supply [LINK]
- 01/28/2018: Petroleum News: Kenai plant re-opening? [LINK]
- 01/02/2018: Nutrien press release: Agrium and PotashCorp Merger Completed Forming Nutrien, a Leader in Global Agriculture [LINK]
- 01/2018: Nutrien Fact Book 2018 [PDF]
- 09/20/2016: Peninsula Clarion: Agrium seeking DEC permit to discharge from Nikiski plant [LINK]
- 09/13/2016: Alaska Journal of Commerce: Walker talks finances, LNG in Kenai [LINK]
- 09/12/2016: Agrium / PotashCorp merger presentation: Creation of a World-Class Integrated Global Supplier of Crop Inputs [PDF]
- 09/12/2016: Agrium press release: Agrium and PotashCorp to Combine in Merger of Equals to Create a World-Class Integrated Global Supplier of Crop Inputs [LINK]
- 06/29/2016: Alaska Journal: Constrained Inlet gas market remains a quandary [LINK]
- 04/20/2016: Peninsula Clarion: Agrium credit passes legislature [LINK]
- 03/26/2016: Peninsula Clarion: Agrium bill has senate resource committee hearing [LINK]
- 11/05/2015: Seeking Alpha earnings call transcript: Agrium (AGU) Charles V. Magro on Q3 2015 Results [LINK]
- 04/14/2015: Alaska Dispatch News: House OKs Agrium subsidy without checking 2014 financing application [LINK]
- 12/05/2014: Alaska Dispatch News: State releases draft of key permit for shuttered Kenai Peninsula fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 04/22/2014: Peninsula Clarion: Agrium nixed from tax credit bill [LINK]
- 01/14/2014: Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority memorandum: Resolution No. G14-03 Authorizing Cost Reimbursement Agreement with Agrium U.S. Inc. regarding the restart of the Kenai Nitrogen Operation [PDF]
- 09/25/2007: Agrium press release: Agrium announces closure of Kenai nitrogen facility [LINK]
- 08/23/2006: Agrium press release: Agrium to Continue Operation of Kenai, Alaska Nitrogen Facility in 2007 [LINK]
- 07/14/2005: Agrium press release: Agrium to Continue Operation of Kenai, Alaska Nitrogen Facility [LINK]
- 04/01/2004: Alaksa Department of Natural Resources: Agrium report: The Economic Impact of Closing Agrium Kenai Nitrogen Operations [PDF]
- 09/29/2000: FTC press release: FTC Clears Agrium, Inc.’s Acquisition of Unocal [LINK]
- 04/16/1968: Fairbanks Daily News: Alaska Becoming 7th Ranking Oil State [LINK]