UPDATED: 10/23/2017 — see Change Log. No further updates expected.
OWNER: Hydrogen Energy California (HECA), (SCS Energy LLC)
PROJECT: Greenfield power plant, fertilizer byproduct
COST (reported): $4+ billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 200 permanent, 2,400 construction
START-UP DATE (reported): None, originally 2018
|Ammonia||[None given]||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company announcements give no capacity data, except “about one million tons” of fertilizer per year.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: Tupman, California, 93206, United States
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- California Energy Commission: siting documents, Hydrogen Energy California Power Plant Project [LINK]
- US Department of Energy: Hydrogen Energy California Project [LINK] / National Energy Technology Laboratories: HECA Factsheet [PDF]
- Air permit: San Joaquin Vallen Air Pollution Control District, public notices [LINK]
- 10/02/2015: Houston Chronicle: Low oil prices cloud futures of clean coal and carbon capture [LINK]
- 09/29/2015: Politico: Carbon-capture projects lose out on DOE stimulus cash [LINK]
- 09/05/2013: HECA Executive Summary [PDF]
- 07/08/2013 : San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District: Notice of Final Action [PDF]
- 06/06/2013: US DOE: Audit Report on “The Hydrogen Energy California Project” [PDF]
- 10/29/2012: Fluor / Mitsubishi Heavy Industries presentation: Gasification Technologies Conference, Hydrogen Energy California Update [LINK]
- 05/03/2012: HECA press release: Hydrogen Energy Project Moves Forward [LINK]
- 09/28/2011: HECA press release: SCS Energy Closes Deal to Acquire HECA Project in Kern County [LINK]