UPDATED: 10/03/2017 — see Change Log
OWNER: Texas Clean Energy Project (Summit Power Group LLC)
PROJECT: Greenfield plant, urea
COST (reported): $3.9 billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 150 permanent, 2,000 construction — see Job Openings [LINK]
START-UP DATE (reported): 2019
|Ammonia||[None given]||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company publications give no ammonia capacity.
 Permit documents not available online.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Construction Permitting: TCEQ permit status [LINK]
- PSD Permitting: TCEQ permit status [LINK]
- National Energy Technology Laboratory: TCEP factsheet, updated November 2014 [PDF]
- US Department of Energy: EIS-0444: Texas Clean Energy Project page [LINK], Environmental Impact Statement, 2015 Supplemental Analysis [LINK / PDF], Special Report, April 2016 [LINK / PDF]
- 12/08/2016: Odessa American: Summit ditches power in bid to salvage project [LINK]
- 05/17/2015: Utility Dive: DOE pulls funding for Texas clean coal project [LINK]
- ONGOING: Odessa American: TCEP local news archive [LINK]
- 12/09/2015: Odessa American: Council grants extension for Summit site [LINK]
- 12/08/2015: TCEP press release: Summit Power Group Announces Signing of EPC Agreement With HQC and SNC-Lavalin for Texas Clean Energy Project With Financial Closing Expected in Spring 2016 [LINK]
- 10/02/2015: Houston Chronicle: Low oil prices cloud futures of clean coal and carbon capture [LINK]
- 09/29/2015: Politico: Carbon-capture projects lose out on DOE stimulus cash [LINK]
- 09/23/2015: ClimateWire: Major Texas project to move forward despite loss of stimulus money [LINK]
- 04/01/2015: Houston Chronicle: Odessa coal-to-gas power plant to break ground this year [LINK]
- 10/06/2014: TCEP press release: CPS Energy Renews Plans for Clean Coal Plant [LINK]
- 07/14/2014: Summit Power press release: Summit Power Group Celebrates Major Milestones at US-China Strategic & Economic Dialogue Meeting [PDF]
- 09/30/2013: Congressional Research Service report: Carbon Capture and Sequestration: Research, Development, and Demonstration at the U.S. Department of Energy [PDF hosted on Federation of American Scientists website]
- 05/2013: TCEP documents: U.S. Congressional [Letters in] Support of the Texas Clean Energy Project [PDF]
- 09/12/2012: TCEP press release: Summit Power Group Celebrates Major Milestones in Financing and Construction of the Texas Clean Energy Project – Generating Jobs and Energy [LINK]
- 09/11/2012: CHS press release: CHS invests in Summit Texas Clean Energy and secures exclusive 700,000 ton urea off-take agreement [LINK]
- 02/14/2012: TCEP press release: Summit’s Texas Clean Energy Project Reaches Major Milestone with Signed EPC and O&M Contracts [LINK]
- 09/29/2011: Federal Register: Record of Decision, Texas Clean Energy Project [LINK]
- 07/03/2008: Forbes Magazine: Old King Coal [LINK]