UPDATED: 08/24/2015 — see Change Log
OWNER: CHS Inc
PROJECT: Greenfield nitrogen fertilizer plant
COST (reported): $3.3 billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 160-180 permanent, 2,000 construction
START-UP DATE (reported):
|Ammonia||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company announcements. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Air Permit documents: ND Health, Air Quality Permits – Construction [LINK / PDF]
- US Securities and Exchange Commission regulatory filings: EDGAR Search Results, CHS Inc, CIK#: 0000823277 [LINK]
- 08/22/2015: Star Tribune: CHS CEO Carl Casale talks Saints stadium and the company’s future [LINK]
- 08/12/2015: CHS press release: Nitrogen Fertilizer Manufacturing Investment Positions Co-Op CHS For Assured Supply, Efficiency, Economics [LINK]
- 08/12/2015: CHS press release: CF Industries and CHS Announce Agreement to Form Strategic Venture [LINK]
- 07/12/2015: Grand Forks Herald, Water permit challenge puts $3 billion CHS fertilizer plant project ‘on hold’ [LINK]
- 06/23/2015: US DOE: THIRD SUPPLEMENT TO LOAN GUARANTEE SOLICITATION ANNOUNCEMENT [PDF]
- 06/23/2015: The Jamestown Sun, JSDC budget sent back to board [LINK]
- 05/02/2015: Jamestown Sun, Water permit application challenged [LINK]
- 04/23/2015: Jamestown Sun, Legislature advances bills for CHS project [LINK]
- 03/21/2015: Grand Forks Herald, Water supply for Fargo may have to wait for pipe to fertilizer plant first [LINK]
- 03/12/2015: Jamestown Sun, Water reuse facility under review by water commission [LINK]
- 03/11/2015: Jamestown Sun, CHS project issues remain: Water supply and construction plan still under review for planned plant [LINK]
- 02/28/2015: The Bismarck Tribune, Missouri River a underutilized resource [LINK]
- 02/15/2015: The Bismarck Tribune, Fertilizer plant looks to Bismarck for water [LINK]
- 12/18/2014: The Western Producer, New U.S. fertilizer plants may spark cheaper prices in Canada [LINK]
- 12/10/2015: Jamestown Sun, Water plan: Plans continue to turn treated waste water into industrial quality water [LINK]
- 12/05/2014: Star Tribune, High earnings, ambitious future for CHS co-op [LINK]
- UNDATED: WBI Energy, Wind Ridge Project Overview [LINK]
- 09/05/2014: CHS press release: CHS to build fertilizer plant at Spiritwood, N.D. [LINK]
- 08/28/2014: Jamestown Sun, Pipeline project: Natural gas pipeline would serve CHS plant [LINK]
- 07/15/2014: Jamestown Sun, Study goes on: CHS still considering Spiritwood nitrogen plant [LINK]
- 05/02/2014: US Senator John Hoeven press release: Hoeven Presses Moniz to Support ND Fertilizer Plant [LINK]
- 04/30/2014: AgWeek, CHS water tests continue, expected to end today [LINK]
- 04/08/2014: CHS statement, provided by e-mail: Spiritwood fertilizer manufacturing plant remains under review [LINK]
- 04/02/2014: Jamestown Sun, Delay: CHS announcement for construction of nitrogen fertilizer plant on hold [LINK]
- 04/02/2014: Jamestown Sun, County rescinds bids for road project at request of CHS [LINK]
- 01/20/2014: Prairie Business, Costs rise for proposed CHS fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 12/20/2013: Bismarck Tribune, North Dakota township caps permit fee to accommodate plant [LINK]
- 11/07/2013: CHS press release: CHS reports fiscal 2013 earnings of $992.4 million [LINK]
- 08/21/2013: NDFU press release: Progress on fertilizer manufacturing plant [LINK]
- 02/25/2013: NDFU press release: Next stage of fertilizer plant approved [LINK]
- 09/12/2012: CHS press release: North Dakota governor, CHS announce plan to pursue major nitrogen fertilizer plant [LINK]