UPDATED: 04/18/2018 — see Change Log
OWNER: Cronus Fertilizers (Cronus Chemicals LLC)
PROJECT: Greenfield ammonia/urea plant
COST (reported): $1.6 billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 200 permanent, 1,500 to 2,000 construction
START-UP DATE (reported): 2021
|Ammonia||2,300 mtpd||[Membership required]||[Membership required]|
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company website.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: 785 East Highway 36, Tuscola, Illinois, 61953
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- Construction Permit: Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, Cronus Chemicals LLC Construction Permit, 2014 [PDF] / draft documents [LINK / PDF]
- NPDES Permit: Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, Cronus Chemicals LLC NPDES Permit, 2016 [PDF]
- 08/23/2017: Cronus press release: Cronus Fertilizers Announces New EPC Contractor and Significant Project Updates [LINK]
- 08/23/2017: The News-Gazette: Timeline set for long-delayed fertilizer plant in Douglas County [LINK]
- 06/11/2017: The News-Gazette: Cronus Chemical ‘in a holding pattern’ [LINK]
- 06/11/2017: The News-Gazette: Cronus Chemical: The road to nowhere — yet, anyway [LINK]
- 03/09/2017: CU-Citizen Access: Delays at proposed Tuscola fertilizer plant put tax breaks at risk [LINK]
- 02/01/2017: Illinois Homepage: $1.9B Cronus fertilizer plant construction delayed again [LINK]
- 11/18/2016: The News-Gazette: Cronus update [LINK]
- 11/04/2016: The News-Gazette: Cronus update [LINK]
- 06/10/2016: Herald & Review: Cronus delays fertilizer plant construction near Tuscola [LINK]
- 06/10/2016: The News-Gazette: Plant over budget, behind schedule [LINK]
- 06/09/2016: CU-Citizen Access: Construction of Cronus fertilizer plant delayed as costs soar [LINK]
- 03/04/2016: The News-Gazette: ‘Significant milestone’: Cronus contractor deal being finalized [LINK]
- 03/01/2016: Maire Tecnimont press release: TECNIMONT/KBR COLLABORATION AGREEMENT TO ESTABLISH A JV FOR CRONUS AMMONIA/UREA PROJECT [LINK]
- 01/25/2016: The News-Gazette: Everything flowing smoothly [LINK]
- 11/27/2015: The News-Gazette: Cronus update [LINK]
- 08/21/2015: The News-Gazette: Cronus site inching ahead [LINK]
- 07/07/2015: The News-Gazette: Final land agreements for Cronus plant pipe expected to be in soon [LINK]
- 04/27/2015: The News-Gazette: Future Cronus plant site sees planting of last crop [LINK]
- 02/23/2015: Cronus press release: Cronus Fertilizers Signs EPC Contract with Maire Tecnimont for Illinois Fertilizer Plant [LINK]
- 12/01/2014: Maire Tecnimont press release: Maire Tecnimont expands its fertilizer business in the USA with Cronus Chemicals’ Illinois plant [LINK]
- 10/29/2014: Illinois Governor’s Office press release: Governor Quinn Announces Cronus Has Chosen Illinois for New $1.4 Billion Fertilizer Plant [LINK]
- 10/23/2014: The News-Gazette: Tuscola optimistic about $1.2 billion plant [LINK]
- 02/05/2014: Mitchell County Press News: Company says fertilizer plant still on track [LINK]
- 01/29/2014: The News-Gazette: Proposed wastewater sale up for discussion again [LINK]
- 01/28/2014: Urbana & Champaign Sanitary District meeting documents: Draft Contract with Cronus Chemicals, LLC [LINK document archive / PDF]
- 10/14/2013: Sioux City Journal: Iowa, Illinois may not be alone in competing for fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 07/26/2013: East Central Illinois Economic Development District news article: Lawmakers hope incentives will lure fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 04/08/2013: Farm Futures: $1.2 Billion Fertilizer Plant May be Sited in Midwest [LINK]