UPDATED: 07/25/2015 — see Change Log
OWNER: Cronus Fertilizers (Cronus Chemicals LLC)
PROJECT: Greenfield urea plant
COST (reported): $1.5 billion
JOB CREATION (reported): 175 permanent, 1,500 to 2,000 construction
START-UP DATE (reported): 2018
||800,000 metric tons per year
|Units: stpd, stpy, mtpd, mtpy = short/metric tons per day/year.
 United States Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Yearbook, Nitrogen gives capacity in metric tons per year, calculated as “engineering design capacity adjusted for 340 days per year of effective production capability,” rounded to three significant digits. Source: most recent year, Table 4: Domestic Producers of Ammonia, http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/nitrogen/.
 Company website.
 [Membership required]. Sources: linked below.
 [Membership required]. See Methodology.
Find more information by browsing the sources below, or see it here and now by becoming a member.
Members have instant access to additional information, including project status, likelihood of completion, feedstock and end products, and research notes.
See an example page, or get more information about membership.
30-Day Membership ($75) → Annual Membership ($150) →
Thank you for supporting the ongoing maintenance of this site.
View larger map with all ammonia plants.
ADDRESS: 785 East Highway 36, Tuscola, Illinois, 61953
- USGS: Minerals Yearbook, Nitrogen [RECENT / ARCHIVE]
- 09/05/2014: Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, Cronus Chemicals LLC Construction Permit [PDF]
- 05/12/2014: Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, draft Construction Permit [LINK / PDF]
- 07/07/2015: The News-Gazette, local news story: Final land agreements for Cronus plant pipe expected to be in soon [LINK]
- 04/27/2015: The News-Gazette local news story: Future Cronus plant site sees planting of last crop [LINK]
- 02/23/2015: Cronus press release: Cronus Fertilizers Signs EPC Contract with Maire Tecnimont for Illinois Fertilizer Plant [LINK]
- 12/01/2014: Maire Tecnimont press release: Maire Tecnimont expands its fertilizer business in the USA with Cronus Chemicals’ Illinois plant [LINK]
- 10/29/2014: Illinois Governor’s Office press release: Governor Quinn Announces Cronus Has Chosen Illinois for New $1.4 Billion Fertilizer Plant [LINK]
- 10/23/2014: The News-Gazette local news article: Tuscola optimistic about $1.2 billion plant [LINK]
- 02/05/2014: Mitchell County Press News, local news story: Company says fertilizer plant still on track [LINK]
- 01/29/2014: The News-Gazette, local news story: Proposed wastewater sale up for discussion again [LINK]
- 01/28/2014: Urbana & Champaign Sanitary District meeting documents: Draft Contract with Cronus Chemicals, LLC [LINK document archive / PDF]
- 10/14/2013: Sioux City Journal news article: Iowa, Illinois may not be alone in competing for fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 07/26/2013: East Central Illinois Economic Development District news article: Lawmakers hope incentives will lure fertilizer plant [LINK]
- 04/08/2013: Farm Futures news article: $1.2 Billion Fertilizer Plant May be Sited in Midwest [LINK]